Friday, March 11, 2011

The Movie, Julie and Julia

I loved this movie with Amy Adams and Meryl Streep. I grew up watching Julia Childs on PBS, my own little girl opinions were, "How can anyone watch this drunken woman cook?". But, she captivated and fascinated me and I did watch, and I don't think she was drunk.
After watching the movie, I vowed to buy Julia's cookbooks and do the same thing as Julie. Who doesn't want to learn how to cook like a master chef? I mean, Hell's Kitchen is one of my favorite shows! I went to Barnes and Noble to buy my birthday present last month, but each of her cookbooks was $30 (volumes 1 and 2, paperback!) And then, I walked by the clearance rows of books. There sitting front and center was a blue gift box with a pretty flourish on the front, no words. I walked by and didn't look inside the gift box. After spending an hour, trying to decide if I should buy this $30 paper back cookbook, I went back and looked inside the blue gift box. It was a set of both volumes of Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" hardbound and best yet, the set was only $25. I bought all that they had, 2 sets. It was meant to be. It almost feels like my mom was guiding me to the book, we were both fans.
I can promise as I go thru these books, I won't be doing aspics, calves brains, fish, truffles, lobster, or anything gross.
The title of this blog is a quote in the cookbook and my daughter's and I laughed, "What an oxymoron! Of course you need butter!" Bon Appetite!

1 comment:

  1. Okay had the omelet for breakfast and I can say one word " AMAZING ". Sarah has a new found love and it is anything with butter. Try it you won't be disappointed . Thanks BFF Sarah
    Love you
    Joe

    ReplyDelete