Monday, August 8, 2011

Eggs Benedict with Asparagus


I think Joe licked the plate clean on this recipe.

This was inspired by one of my favorite shows, Master Chef. After making this dish, I can say that those chefs knew what they were doing. I saw all the important steps and I was impressed.

This was the first time I made Hollandaise sauce from scratch. This compared to the mock sauce made of mayonnaise, well, I'll never make the mock sauce again. It wasn't hard and well worth it

What was hard was the eggs. Poaching eggs to perfection, so Chef Ramsey wouldn't throw me out of his show was my goal. It took me a week and about a dozen eggs to get it right. Secret: Boil water, dip eggs (in shell) for 10 seconds. Lower heat to a simmer and carefully crack egg into water (close to the water, no splashes) and time 4 minutes. PERFECT! You want the yolk to ooze out when you cut into it, not too runny, and definately not hard. That will end your Master Chef wanna be career.

It was so good, I may need to run to the hospital for a cholecystectomy with all the butter used. But... it was needed!


No comments:

Post a Comment